Monday, July 4, 2011

Celebrating Your Independence

Today is the 4th of July or better known to Americans as Independence Day.  Because I was born in Canada and brought up by a Cuban father and Canadian mother, I've never quite been as patriotic as most Americans.  I never miss a chance to see amazing fireworks, eat red, white and blue cake, or drink to the beginning of the country I call home, however,  I don't quite celebrate with the same gusto as others.  This year I've decided to take a different view of this national holiday.  I'm celebrating my own independence.

Last fourth of July I was still technically living with my ex.  We had just broken up and my new living arrangements weren't going to take effect until August.  I decided to go to the neighbor's and celebrate by meeting a slew of happy party goers, eat hot dogs, and drink cheap beer.  After a fun evening and a fireworks show we watched from the corner of our street, I was aggressively pulled away from the group by my ex and questioned about what details I had told people about our break up.  Apparently a mutual friend of ours had texted him and berated him about a conversation I had with him the day before.  The evening definitely ended with a bang, but not the bang of fabulous fireworks that I had hoped for.  Instead I was forced to leave my apartment by an irate ex and ended up staying at friends' places for the rest of July.

It's been one year since that last encounter and my life has changed in so many positive ways.  I now live with a fabulous roommate in a great apartment.  I've become more of my own person than ever before and am a happier, more independent person.  I've been able to work solely on myself and only have my family and friends to worry about.  Instead of concentrating on why someone else isn't happy with me, I concentrate on whether I am happy with myself.  I am living my life the way that I want to live it.

Independence Day doesn't have to only be about the birth of a nation.  It can be about celebrating the independence that we find within ourselves.  The strength to make tough decisions and to grow is one that everyone should celebrate and I can't think of a better day to do so. 


No comments:

Post a Comment